About the University Quarter
More than £1.5 billion regeneration funding is being invested to transform Stoke-on-Trent and North Staffordshire into a thriving region where quality of life and opportunities will be available to all.
A key element of this regeneration will be the University Quarter, the largest joint education project of its type in the UK. The ambition is to invest in world-class education facilities within the University Quarter to create a place where the local community will want to go to develop and enhance their skills, thereby raising aspirations and the achievement of higher level qualifications in the region. This wealth of highly skilled people will attract new businesses to the area, fuelling the growth of existing businesses and laying the long-term foundations for economic regeneration across North Staffordshire.
As a major development in the city, the University Quarter will act as a catalyst for the £450 million regeneration of the wider area between the mainline railway station and Stoke-on-Trent city centre.
What is the University Quarter?
The University Quarter is an education-led regeneration project in Stoke-on-Trent covering an area of around 400 acres, and bringing together the educational institutions of Staffordshire University, Stoke-on-Trent College of Further Education, and the City of Stoke-on-Trent Sixth Form College. The institutions share a vision of breaking down barriers to give everyone the chance to achieve their full potential.
Around £285 million is being invested to deliver the University Quarter development, making it the largest collaborative project for further, higher and school education in the UK. The funds are being raised from a variety of sources, including the Learning & Skills Council, Staffordshire University, Advantage West Midlands, the Higher Education Funding Council for England, Stoke-on-Trent College, City of Stoke-on-Trent Sixth Form College and the private sector.
Aims and objectives
The aim of the University Quarter is to “create a vibrant, safe and attractive environment that provides opportunity, investment and a better quality of life for all those living, studying and working there.”
Its objectives are to –
- Give people from all backgrounds access to new learning and training opportunities
- Offer direct support for those with dreams of setting up their own businesses, as well as making the area even more attractive to potential employers
- Attract investment to the region, which will play a vital role in economic regeneration as well as meeting the skills needs of North Staffordshire’s workforce
- Build a series of flagship educational facilities
- Support the rejuvenation of the nearby South Shelton residential area, in partnership with Sanctuary Housing
- Improve the quality of life of local people by working with residents, businesses, community groups and organisations to meet their needs
Local residents and businesses will be kept fully informed of developments at every stage. Community partner Sanctuary Housing will ensure that anyone living or working in the South Shelton area has the opportunity to be involved in discussions about the University Quarter, to help create a better place to live, work and play.
Visit our interactive map to find out more about work in the University Quarter.
Keep up to date with all the latest University Quarter news at www.uniq-stoke.org